Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Blog #4, Tannen, Deborah. Chp. 2: "‘I’m Sorry, I’m not Apologizing.’"

“I’m Sorry” helped me to understand a little bit better the ways that men and women differ in conversation. The article also explained some interesting aspects of the American language, such as the cultural acceptance of the conversation piece, “sorry”. It is a word used habitually here in America, and this differs from other countries. I have heard that it is always not appropriate to sorry because when one is using the term, he or she is admitting guilt. I never thought about this and I thought it was interesting. Before I never took the time to think about what I was saying because the word just rolled off my tongue, but now I will put more consideration into the proper usage before I blurt it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment